Last year I started my first annual craft beer advent calendar. It went so well that this year I invited five other people to join me. It operates the way many holiday cookie swaps do—each person brings 24 beers and leaves with 24 different beers. In our group of six, we each brought 4 six-packs.
Here are the rules we came up with for this year. How would you do it differently?
The goal is to end up with 24 unique 6-packs which divided equally should be 24 unique beers for 6 people.
- #shared experience clause: identical 6-packs > mix-packs
- #relax, don’t worry clause: beer can be consumed in any order however (from experience, don’t fall too far behind in a beer advent calendar)
- #small fridge clause: warm > cold, if you can only get the beer cold, keep it cold, warn us to bring coolers
- #do unto others clause: bring beer you would like to drink
- #isn’t that special clause: holiday/rare > year-round
- #let’s not get too crazy clause part 1: homebrew/cider/shandy/etc. no more than 1 six pack per person
- #let’s not get too crazy clause part 2: idea is ultimately to save a buck over bottle shop prices, so avoid 22oz, growlers etc.
- #least common denominator clause: if your beer comes in 4-packs (ahem Dogfish), find something to do with the extra 2 beers…